The psychology behind high click and conversion advice with email marketing
How to get high email clickthrough rates
E-mail marketing is the weapon for every entrepreneur who advertises and sells products and services online.
But more importantly, e-mail marketing is only a weapon if you use this tool profitably.
How can I use e-mail marketing profitably?
This question I answer you from AZ in this article. It’s one of the most comprehensive articles I’ve ever posted on marketingblog.biz.
To get to the bottom of this question, we need to look at human psychology:
Why do people want what they want?
Psychology gives the following answer:
“Everyone has a strong desire to reach their maximum potential. People are not just reacting blindly to situations. They are trying to improve and do something more than what they have done so far. “
Next, it is important to know what needs a product or service will satisfy the buyers.
It is divided into 5 ascending need groups.
The lowest need group are the basic needs. When these are met, the needs increase to the next higher level.
- Level: Basic Needs
Fresh Air, Food, Water, Sexual Satisfaction, Sleep
- Level: Safety
Protection against physical violence, protection against unemployment, security of supply,
protection of family / health / property
- Level: relationship and love
Friendship, partnership, family, sexuality
- Level: Appreciation
Self-esteem, trust, achievement, respect (from others)
- Level: self-realization
morality, creativity, spontaneity, problem solving
At what levels do readers prefer your newsletter?
Go on it.
- You should point out to your readers what will change to your needs through a product purchase for the better .
- Show your readers what your future needs will be if they do not purchase a product.
- Show your readers what pain / negative impact
they will have if they do not (continue to) do anything.
In “what if” scenarios, you can target it.
- “What if … you lose your job in 3 years.”
- “What if … you or your partner died prematurely
because you did nothing for your health.”
Create causes for a resonance
In order for your email campaign to be a success, it is important that your target audience feel addressed by you.
Resonance is a sense of alignment, harmony and empathy – both positive and negative.
authenticity, transparency, personality, communication
information, facts, education (content with added value),
curiosity (questions and answers), evidence (testimonials)
Emotions are above the intellect.
People buy based on emotions and justify and justify their purchase logically(in front of themselves)
Why is that?
- Emotions arise instinctively.
- They arise before a reaction develops in the brain and the intellect turns on.
- In our reality, we make many decisions every day.
- Our emotions serve as an internal guidance system that guides us in a certain direction.
- Let us turn our mind off, let us be guided by our emotions.
How to integrate emotions in your e-mails:
- Subject line
Arouse the feeling that the longing for something is now fulfilled.
- Images in e-mails
Use them for visualization in order to amplify the feelings to be triggered.
- Text Part in Emails
Write detailed information that encourages the reader to create feelings
- Call for action
Depending on the emotions you have triggered, you will guide the reader in a goal-oriented manner
Examples of feelings to be triggered:
- Dreams coming true • Adventurousness • Excitement
• Rest • Escape (from everyday life)
Positive or negative emotion? Which one is more effective?
Negative feelings lead to more reactions.
That’s because we pay more attention to negative things of our will to stay alive.
But beware! Repeated negative comments lead in the long term to worse
It is therefore important to maintain at least a balanced ratio of positive and negative emotions.
Do not forget the intellect.
Emotions are only part of the success.
Equally important is the intellect , so that your readers can also make informed decisions.
Concentrate on the following points:
- In your e-mail text, answer all the questions that most of your readers will ask.
- Give facts and show your readers what everyday life means for you to use a product.
- Count on the feedback from satisfied customers (so-called testimonials).
- Refer to References.
- Compare the features of a product with those of the competition.
- Name the price.
It is sufficient if you mention the points mentioned on your sales page or landing page.
The 3 Essential Points of Successful Email Marketing
- 1. The context
- Subject line, possibly a headline
- The actual text content
- Matching pictures that emphasize statements and trigger feelings
- The choice of colors (background color of the e-mail, text color, color highlighting)
- The call to action (text or button)
- 2. An absolute clarity about what is meant
- 3. The final call to action
- Check whether the call to action is really clear and there are not several.
Very traditional – selling with A I D A
A – Attention | attentionEvery successful salesperson preaches the sales model with AIDA. And it works today.
Therefore here: The AIDA formula related to email marketing.
Attention awaken as follows:
- With the “From:” line. This line will immediately catch the eye of every reader.
- With the subject. Again, this will be displayed to all your readers, even before you
decide to open your e-mail.
I – Interest | interest
Wake up interest in the other e-mail content as follows:
- In the subject line.
- With the first sentences of the e-mail text.
Your readers will usually see the first 60 characters of an e-mail in advance as a preview of the message.
- With subheadings in the e-mail.
- With pictures or an (animated) picture as a preview of a linked video.
D – Desire | Desire
To arouse the desire, the following possibilities are offered:
- Use pictures for visualization.
- Include the text in the subject line.
- The urge to awaken is mainly the task of the e-mail body text.
A – Action | call to action
To set a clear call to action (the so-called call-to-action), you have the following options:
- conversion-optimized button / gif-animated button
- Text links (formatted, eg in bold)
- Visual characters (eg arrows)
Trigger for AIDA
Rising from the most negative triggers (# 1 – Alerts) to the most positive ones (# 8 – Exclusivity).
Use some of them in your subject, subheadings and texts.
1 – Alarms / Limitations
(limited time offers, limited quantities)
- Surprise the visitor
- Arouses interest
- Generates attention
Triggered emotions: anxiety, fear
2 – interruptions
- The break after the subject line attracts attention.
- The headline of the email arouses the interest. Pictures in the e-mail arouse the desire.
Triggered emotions: distraction, expectation
3 – curiosity
- Keep something secret to attract the attention of the visitor.
- Makes the reader curious about the answer.
- Perfect combination with the triggers: limitations (1) and exclusivity (8)
Tripped emotions: surprise, expectation, urgency (in combination with other triggers)
4 – Safety
- Creates trust, z. By a money back guarantee.
- Minimizes the risk and therefore stimulates our basic need for safety.
Triggered emotion: trust
5 – Expectations
- Use a countdown subject line, such as B. “5 days to …”,
which awakens the anticipation of an upcoming event.
- Combined with a meaningful headline and a video,
the interest and desire is further enhanced.
Triggered emotions: expectation, joy
6 – Gesch
- Stories pull the reader under the spell of the narrator
and guide him through the use of emotions in the desired direction.
- The subject line arouses emotions and the e-mail text tells the story.
Triggered emotions: expectation, pride
7 – References / Evidence
- Include customer opinions in your e-mail.
- Also suitable in today’s age of social networks are feedback from customers,
for example , who are posted on your Facebook page.
Triggered emotions: trust, interest
8 – Exclusivity / preference
- Point out that selected members will receive this offer (first).
- Communicate this exclusivity already in the subject line of the e-mail.
- Ideal for use in combination with limitations,
eg. B. “Special conditions for VIP customers when ordering until …”
Triggered emotions: recognition, trust
E-mail marketing is the online marketing tool with the greatest potential, provided you know how to use it properly.
- What will you take with you for your e-mail marketing?
- What will you try out in the future?
Answer yourself these questions. Because only then will you take something out of this short report for yourself and your business.